Thursday, September 22, 2011

Diary of a Derbalifer - Part 1


I witnessed some pretty awesome changes in derby pal Indy or, Angela after she completed the DerbaLIFE 6-week program. So many changes that to be totally honest: I couldn't recognize her! She slimmed down, she toned down all that didn't go down was her speed. Which went up.

So, I went ahead and dove right in. Monday was the day it started and as I watched messages inviting us to join just as I was watching my belly jello-up I just went ahead and did it. I did it. I did, I did!

So motivated to kick start my new me I laced up my running shoes and hit the pavement. But, running was obviously not enough to achieve the new me: I made it a cross-training extravaganza. Being that I live on Harbor Island, I have access to a wonderful bike-walk path. This path is exactly 1.5 miles, give or take. So from one tippy top end of the island to the other, or from the river paddle boat to the lighthouse and back I get to rejoice in a true 5k.

Again, as I mentioned the run wasn't enough for me, oh no sirree boppy! I mentioned the cross training. Every park bench I crossed on my way back from the paddle boat (to celebrate that I was accomplishing the 5k) I added a work-out. Push-ups, dips, leg lifts, and when the bench was occupied - lunges.

After this wonderful work-out, my husband and I went sailing for 3 hours, thankfully I got back just in time to load up my gear and race out downtown for 1 hour of derby.

Overdid it? I did indeed overdid it. I did, I did, I did overdid it!

Tuesday was a day of pain. Total excruciating pain. But I was wiser - I skipped out on derby that night. I'm not a total idiot, just a partial one. But some could beg to differ.

And now I am looking forward to my fitness profile and goal assessment with my new AWESOME coach On-Ya. Life is grand for a Derbalifer... life is grand.

p.s. I need an accountability partner (and a spellchecker for every time I write out that word)
p.p.s. as I was making a cheese quesadilla for breakfast I happened to spot an apple glaring out at me with the angry eye, so I generously handed the quesadilla to my husband and ate dry toast with apple slices
p.p.p.s. the quesadilla looked yumalicious, but my apple was better

No comments:

Post a Comment